Fashion Focus: Formal/Prom Dresses

I have spent the past few weeks searching the internet for the perfect formal dress. I didn't look in the shops as I wanted to find a cheaper dress as I know I probably won't be wearing this dress again (I like to buy a new dress for each formal) and I knew that I had the best chance of finding one online. As I am sure I am not the only person who is looking for a formal dress, I thought I would share my favourite finds with you all.

Quick note... incase you are wondering, a Formal is the same thing as a Prom or Ball. We just call it a formal here in Northern Ireland!

ASOS (£150)

I love this dress from the ASOS Black collection. I think the design is extremely pretty, and has an almost gothic-meets-romantic feel. I think this dress would look gorgeous paired with a simple updo, and styled with black accessories. If I was to wear this dress I would definitely wear a pair of chandelier drop earrings and I would keep the makeup fairly simple with a nude lip! In fact I would probably style very similar to how the model has been styled.

Religion (£70)

This dress from Religion caught my eye because of the gorgeous back! The dress it very simple, but the embellished straps prevent it from being boring. I think this dress would be perfect for somebody who doesn't really like the typical formal dresses. As the dress is all black you could use accessories to provide a pop of colour, however I think I would style the dress with silver accessories. I would probably wear a pair of silver strappy heels, and either a silver statement necklace (though nothing with sequins due to the straps) or a silver clutch. I would keep my hair quite simple, probably something similar to how the model has her's. As for makeup, you could go for either a smokey eye with pink lip, or a neutral eye and red lip depending on if you want to place the focus on your eyes or lips. I personally would go for the red lip, as I prefer to play up my lips, plus I feel a red lip would add a pop of colour.

Little Mistress (£16)

This dress from Little Mistress is actually the dress that I ended up choosing for my formal! I love the gold embellished straps, and I think the dress has a slightly grecian feel to it. I think I will be pairing this dress with black strappy heels and a black clutch, but I am not really sure about jewellery (any suggestions?). As for makeup, I been watching videos on Lisa Eldridge's channel, and so far I am thinking either THIS, THIS or THIS. Which do you guys prefer?

Needle and Thread (£250)


This is the dress I would have bought if I had unlimited funds to spend on this formal. It has such a romantic feel, and I absolutely love everything about it from the fit, to the embellishments, to the colour. If I had this dress, I would stick with the nude colour palette in terms of styling. Also due to the embellishments I wouldn't add a lot of jewellery, perhaps just a gold bangle. I would keep my hair simple with beachy waves (think Kate Hudson), and for makeup I would go for glowy, bronzed skin, contoured cheeks and a pink lip!

So that is my favourite 4 dresses that I found online! I hope that this has provided you with some inspiration if you are looking for a formal dress!

Are you going to a Formal/Prom? What are you planning to wear?


7 comments :

  1. Ooh I love the dress you chose! Think it would be gorge with the Rosie H-W look or the Old Fashioned one. I'd probably go for the Rosie look on me but that's mostly because of my blonde hair. Red lip would be gorge with you being dark! You should try them both out and post pics :) xo

    Aisling . rosysmiles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aisling! Think I'll probably try both the looks out tomorrow so if I do I'll definiitely post pictures :) The Rosie look would look great on you!

      xx Lauren

      Delete
  2. I love love love the dress you chose! I just think the colour is gorgeous!
    Eden from edenroses xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eden! :) I definitely can't wait to wear it!

      xx Lauren

      Delete
  3. The first and last one are stunning! I didn't go to my school prom, I kind of regret it!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I wish I had the money to buy them! I didn't really enjoy my school formal, but I have loved all of my university formals!

      xx Lauren

      Delete