Blogmas Day Six | Tips For Doing Christmas On A Budget



I'm sure everybody will agree with me when I say Christmas can be an expensive time of year. Between gifts, dinners, buying new outfits... it all adds up and can make a huge dent in your bank account. So today I thought I would share a few of my tips for saving yourself a bit of money when Christmas shopping!

1. Agree a budget Setting a budget is one of the most obvious yet overlooked tips there is. You can either set a budget for how much you are spending overall or for each individual. If you're worried that you won't spend a lot compared to how much somebody might spend on you, then talk to the person and agree on a budget that you can all stick to.

2. DIY Gifts Making your own gifts is not only a great way to save money, but it's also a very sweet and thoughtful way to show somebody how much they mean to you. If you aren't the most creative then I recommend heading straight to Pinterest where you will find hundreds of ideas and tutorials!

3. Organise a Secret Santa This is definitely one of the easiest ways to keep your spending down. If you have a large group of people who normally buy presents for each other (think your family, friends etc) then talk to them about organised a Secret Santa instead of buying each individual person a present. Again it's a good idea to set a budget to make sure nobody feels like they've spent too much/too little.

4. Shop around for deals and offers I know Christmas shopping can be exhausting, and sometimes you just want to get it over with as quickly as possible, but it really does pay to shop around to make sure you're getting the best deal. Also try and shop multi-offers. Places like Boots always have great multi-buy offers so it's a great way to buy gifts for a few people and save a bit of money. Finally, don't be afraid to open up gift packs and share them about. I like to buy things like multi-packs of hand creams and then share them amongst my friends as extra little stocking filler gifts.

5. Write a list It's so easy to get carried away with buying presents at Christmas. There have been quite a few occasions I have bought and bought and bought just to discover when I'm wrapping that I have bought enough presents for a whole village. So now I always write a list. I write out each persons name, and then when I buy a present for somebody I write it next to their name and I also write how much it cost. This way, I can easily see how much I have bought for each person and exactly how much I have spent.

So there you have a few ways to save a little bit of money over Christmas. Just remember, it's the thought that counts, not the size or value of the present! Nobody should put themselves into debt at Christmas, so don't spend a fortune if you don't have it!

What tips do you have for saving money at Christmas?

No comments :

Post a Comment